Thursday, July 4, 2024

ON INDEPENDENCE DAY HURRICANE BERYL "BARRELS" DOWN ON JAMAICA

 My prayers right now are for my friends in Jamaica, the land of wood and water. As I speak a gigantic category 3 hurricane is impendingly about to barrel down on the island in the Bahamas known as Jamaica. I've been to Jamaica twice, so I can say that the risk for Jamaicans - your average Jamaican, say - in a rural area is fairly large to be frank, and it seriously is a frightening situation going on in the land of wood and water this 4th of July. When I went to Jamaica I stayed in shanty town, the infrastructural reality of most of rural Jamaica. There you will find unconventional things used as housing. Spare scraps of metal sheeting used as walls and ceilings. Many houses do not even have a floor, but merely sleep on a cot on the ground. Our friends in Jamaica on this Independence Day have a spiritual war led by highly I Selassie I the first emperor of Ethiopia. My DJ sound rig name is clip and carbine, and I have been working in Jamaican style music for over 23 years. I send prayers to all those keeping up security, and all those in the rural areas of Jamaica. Let's hope this doesn't get as bad as Katrina. Our friends in Jamaica are holy people. I remember when I went there at one point I went to a bodega to pick up a red stripe, and upon entering the bodega the proprietor was playing old John Wayne black and white cowboy movies. Jamaica supports American culture in a highly passionate way that many people don't realize. The early days of Jamaican music were marked by DJs importing the hippest in rhythm and blues from America. They have a devout love of American music, especially American native black music or Urban music. Yet somehow they remain true to the cowboy aesthetic, much like the Josey Wales track I sampled for my hit single out of Russia "Bible Belt". JAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment